Friday, June 17, 2005

Cast On, Cast Off

First, I am almost done with Mariposa. Why am I not done? you may ask. I took a long pause yesterday when I realized something was wrong with my right side. Can you tell from the picture?

sides

Since most of the people who comment on my blog don’t actually knit, I’m guessing you can’t tell what is wrong.

The sample on the right was cast on using a cable cast on. Why would I do that? It’s possibly going to ruin my ability to attach this piece to the entire shawl. I may have to start completely over.

But I am an optimist. I kept knitting. I stopped here, can you tell why?

strings

Notice the inordinate number of strings hanging off such a small piece of knitting? If you look closely in the lower right you will see why. It’s a KNOT. And this is not the first knot in this ball of yarn, nor is it the second. Now, call me crazy, but three knots in a ball is a little excessive, no?

The question is, should I tell Jonelle? (For those of you who don’t know, she’s the owner of the company that sells this yarn. I’m doing this project as a sample for her.) I mean, I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining or anything, but if I had purchased this yarn and found three knots right at the beginning I would be hopping mad.

I’m still hopping mad because I despise the process of weaving in ends and starting new yarn. So I stopped. But I have to continue because I can’t start my pink sweater until this is finished. Sigh.

As far as things I’m sick of, I will show you my list if you show my yours. We’re all sick of something aren’t we?

So you already know I’m sick of people making over-generalizations about the legal profession, here’s one more.

I’m sick of being fat. My belly looks like bread dough and my butt is the size of Texas.

That’s all for now dear readers.

6 Comments:

Blogger Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

Knots are not cool! I would be bummed if I paid 13/ball for this yarn with that amount of knots. For that price I tend to expect a lot from a yarn, and very few knots! =) As a knitter I actually did not even notice the difference in cast-ons but I am curious. Why would a cable co make it difficult to attach to the shawl? I've never done one before so I'm rather interested.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be more than bummed if there were that many knots in the yarn. In fact, I'd probably return it. None of their yarns are cheap enough to have that many knots in it. I would say something to Jonelle.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Every yarn I've used from them had more knots in it than I would put up with if I paid their retail prices. I've tried to say something...but don't get far.

3:19 PM  
Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

I too hate generalizations - ranted about them here http://thesquareslant.blogspot.com/2005/05/ax-to-grind.html

4:17 AM  
Blogger potusol said...

I can assure you (HA!) that your butt is not the size of Texas. I used to live there. : )

10:14 AM  
Blogger :| raven |: said...

i love your new blog template .. it's been a while since i visited (not sure why) but i love what you've done to the place.

i'm sick and tired of a lot of things too. i won't start because i don't want to take up all your blog space :)

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home