Tuesday, June 14, 2005

what a mood....

It’s probably a good thing I didn’t blog yesterday. I don’t know how you all do it, but I keep a word document open at all times where I write different things down before actually publishing. Once I have pictures ready I usually have enough words to get a decent size post.

I wasn’t in the best of moods yesterday – Joe being gone, a certain unnamed friend refusing to return my phone calls (he has since been forgiven, so all is well), a headache, and this unbearable heat were all getting to me. Today is better – a good nights sleep will do wonders for a girl. I pulled up my document to start my blog for the day and found a list of things that make me mad. It’s called the I’M SICK OF IT list.

Whew. That was one nasty mood.

Fortunately, today I am all sunshine and happiness. Well, not completely. I do have to say I AM SICK TO DEATH of people and their strange attitudes about lawyers. If you took your jokes or your rants and diatribes about lawyers and replaced the word with an ethnic group, or women, or a religious group you would have people screaming to the rafters that you were making overgeneralizations, you were a bigot, you were racist, sexist. Get a grip people. There are millions of lawyers in the world. Not all of them are perpetuating some perceived cycle of evil.

Deep breath in. Deep breath out. Feel free to comment – the blog hasn’t had controversy in a while now so we’re about due for another spirited discussion.

Ok, moving on to more important matters. I finished the left side of Mariposa. Here it is posing with my pink yarn on the coffee table:

left side

That green yarn on the right is a washcloth I attempted to make without a pattern. I have since learned there are a few errors so it needs to be pulled out and redone. My coffee table seems to have become my knitting showcase table for the time being.

I got the needles for my new pattern, but I am forcing myself to finish Mariposa first. Jonelle will be back from that needle arts extravaganza soon and I want to take this shawl to her finally. (yikes. i just looked on her blog to do her link and she's back already. darn. i'd better get moving.)

Joe is gone, Jack is asleep so it’s just me and my knitting needles for the rest of the night. Oh, and a small bottle of red wine……

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you love controversy either true or created... but as you've said before - a blog is a place for self expression and opinions... that's the beauty of it... so if I hate lawyers and you love them - we are all entitle to our opinions. That's what makes our world go round.

The flaw in your argument is that we cannot pick our gender, ethnic group or nationality... but we can pick our career. And it's what we do with that career that can define who we are or how are career is viewed. It's just a shame that the lawyers that make news aren't the moral and ethical ones - because after all - how exciting would that be...

So again, even though I am not a fan of lawyers or our government as a whole (although I do think we live in one of the best countries on earth... go figure) I can respect that there are good ones out there... it's just the bad ones that make me hate the career choice so much!

-AL (it won't let me enter my name)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Mac and Caden said...

I want to see the list!

9:51 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

I've never really understood the national (global?) animosity toward lawyers. The rule of law is the fountainhead of liberty in any representative democracy, and as individuals (or organizations, or corporations) enter into agreements (or disagreements), the law is there to provide protections as voted on by the electorate or their representatives. The populace at large cannot be expected to be experts in the intricacies of the legal system, so we hire professionals to make sure our rights are protected under the law. What's wrong with that?

John Adams was a lawyer, for Pete's sake -- I think it's a noble profession. Are there unscrupulous lawyers? Yes, just as there are unscrupulous salesmen, coaches, ice cream men, senators, knitting teachers, dog groomers and convenience store clerks. I don't think any one profession can lay claim to a higher or lower moral state than the rest of us.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Jack and Nicholas said...

Dear AL - Do I know you?

Anyhow, I don't have an argument to make, so it can't have a flaw. I'm just sick of it is all. You even said yourself "it's a shame that the lawyers who make the news are not the ethical ones."

Anyhow, I'm not sure what you mean by me loving controversy "true or created". I'm guessing you're implying something negative about me, but I can't exactly figure out what it is.

Thanks Parley for the input. and sorry Julie, I'm not posting the list. Maybe i'll email it to you.

Joe is on his way home!!!!!!! yay!!!!!

4:28 PM  
Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

Brooke - No ill feelings about lawyers here...one of my best friends is an lawyer. People bad mouth them until they need one - then it is a different story all together.

Don't let them get you down!

7:09 PM  
Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

I want to see the list too!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Creative Genius? said...

Brooke,

It's me Alison - the darn computer wouldn't let me log in so I had to just sign my name to the post.... as I just said to you in an email... your blog is subtitled "the most controversial knitting blog around" and that is what I meant by loving controversy... that's it... its in the title...

No need to take offense and I didn't mean to be on the attack - just figured you were writing in reference to my blog saying I hate lawyers that's all. Really... I am not a fan, not even when I need one (they cost way to much money for my cheap self!)

Keep in mind that blogs are a place for self expression as I did on mine and you did on yours, and then the comments are a place for your readers (and my readers on mine) to self express back. That's all....

So really I meant no hard feelings and alls fun and games in the world of blogging...

-AL (that's Alison aka the Creative Genius)

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PJS - I admire him for a lot of reasons, but John Adams is hardly an example of unblemished nobility. Can you say "Alien and Sedition Act"? (Though it is possible that he was more deluded than malicious in that case.)

The rule of law is a noble idea; I'm not sure it follows that the law is a noble profession. Especially since it's sort of silly to say "the law" as if it's all one. Big difference between the work that patent office lawyers do and the work that corporate lawyers do and the work that family lawyers do.

But then, I tend to think it's sort of silly to say "lawyers are good" or "lawyers are bad" in general. There are certainly lawyers I admire greatly, like the ones who work pro bono to help battered women or children escape. There are lawyers I abhor, like the ones who help big corporations run roughshod over helpless people (or who help greedy people sue innocent corporations). There are lawyers who have noble jobs, like the ones who interpret the Constitution to keep it applying to a world that's changed greatly (and ones who subvert a noble job by interpreting that Constitution in ways to promote the interest of a few and hurt the many).

Mostly, you know, they're humans, and so you can't say that they're uniformly good or bad. Incidentally, someone did a study once. The profession with the highest ethics? Engineers. But that may be because we have little to gain by cheating, in the long run.

I'll get off the soapbox now. In general, I just hate overgeneralities :-)

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home