Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Finished Socks?

I finished the socks last night and, well, see for yourself.


















They don’t match at all. Now, I did use a different cast on method for the second sock. This was inadvertent – when I made the first sock I forgot my crochet hook in the car, so I had to use a normal cable cast on. With the second sock I used the crocheted cast on where you use the hook to make loops on the needle. I thought they were similar but apparently not. The second sock (the one on top) has a lacy/frilly edge. The other problem is the striping is off and the top sock looks way more red than the bottom sock.

So, I am going to cast on and knit another sock. I want them to resemble one another more closely, and if I start the yarn in the big red stripe I think it will help. The yarn is called Clown by Marks and Kattens. It’s 45% cotton, 40% superwash wool and 15% nylon. Oh, and it is not colorfast. So mom, don’t get your feet wet or they will turn pink.

If you need a good reference for the kitchner stitch, go here. It has great explanations and pictures.

I will be at Fiber Factory on Thursday at 10 a.m. if anyone wants to come knit with me. My student Judy will be there as well. I may try to find some yarn for myself for these socks. I also just read a pattern in Interweave Knits where you double the yarn on the foot so there is extra padding. Considering how often I run around with only my socks on this sounds like a good idea.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Adorable! I've been wanting to make myself a pair of socks. I think I'll try the pattern.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home